Nippert Stadium has not been a fearsome stop for the Cards in recent years, but figures to be rowdy tonight. The Bearcats are rolling, at 6-0.
Now, the pregame notes
- Harry Douglas will play. He looks to be moving well in warmups and was not on the pregame list of missing persons issued by U of L football SID Rocco Gasparro.
- Mario Urrutia, Adrian Grady and Rodney Gnat are out with undisclosed injuries.
- Kragthorpe, contrary to reports, is not releasing injury reports. He is releasing status reports.
- The people running the press box in Nippert have Virginia-UConn on the televisions instead of UK-LSU. Someone shoot me.
- Sight I never thought I’d see: Fan outside Nippert Stadium before a UC-U of L game with a sign that reads “I NEED TICKETS.”
- Brock Bolen is the first-team running back in warm-ups.
- Cincinnati must have been confident about this game all along. They made it their Homecoming Game.
- Scoring offense comparison: U of L 44 points per game, UC 43.3.
- UC is giving up 255 yards per game through the air. I’m looking for U of L to air it out. Like Hawaii. Like Texas Tech. Maybe we should start calling Brian Brohm, “Colt.”
- PROPS to the UC press box staff. Cats-Tigers are back on the air. And Cards-Bearcats are just 20 minutes from kickoff. Stay tuned . . .
- The Bearcats are giving up just 85 yards per game on the ground.
- If the Cards can hang onto the ball against the top turnover defense in the nation, they should come away with a win in this one. And that would be a major first step in the right direction for a team that badly needs for something good to happen.
- The notebook pictured at the above right is a relic from the old days, when the C-J had its own custom legal pads. Let’s call it Throwback Week for C-J columnists. I guess that means like I have to write like Pat Forde, Billy Reed or Dave Kindred. (But don’t hold your breath).